Saturday, September 20, 2008

30-Days Muslims and America

A few of you may have heard about our "Saturday night group" plan for next Saturday night. Saturday the 27th we will be discussing an episode of "30 days". The episode we plan to discuss (please watch before hand to discuss) is the Christian in a Muslim world. I found the episode on line at the following web site:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/5276/30-days-muslims-and-america

Or I'm sure you can rent it from Blockbuster or Netflicks. If this works well we will discuss a different movie or show the fourth Saturday of each month. I'll try to come up with a few good discussion questions, hopefully before next Saturday. I'll send them out in advance. Feel free to come up with your own, also it would be fun to bring in "scripture" (however you define that) or other quotes to share that relate directly to this episode.

I think this will be interesting, fun, and challenging. I look forward to seeing you all there.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

I just watched the episode and I found it very interesting. It wasn't particularly enlightening to me but I am aware of the similarity's that exist between Islam and Christianity. One aspect that the did not address is the difference between the American Mosques that that they were showing and the Mosques in Europe and the Middle East. I think that the Islam he was experiencing was a more liberal one then the Islam that is taking place overseas.

Unknown said...

I was pleasantly surprised by the show, partly because for some reason I was envisioning a more reality-tv show, something like 'wife-swap', but this was actually a real documentary. My brain cells perked up immediately. :)

I'm guessing the branch of Islam he was in was probably more moderate than actually liberal (I mean, he did get kicked out of the house all day just because the wife couldn't be with him alone). But probably none of the more fundamental groups would consent to the kind of filming, dialogue etc. they did for this show. After all, it wasn't just the one guy living in that family's house and going to the mosques, it was also the entire camera and sound crew.

It's my understanding that most of the world's major religions have pockets of fundamentalists in various parts of the globe. (Even Hindu fundamentalists, though I haven't been able to figure out exactly what that is) In spite of the differing religious traditions, these groups share some similiarities-- taking pretty extreme views on resisting change/modernity, rigid interpretation of scriptures etc. Most of us in the U.S. have a pretty good sense that Christian fundamentalists form only one slice of the whole pie; our knowledge of Islam is a bit thinner. (Okay, a lot thinner.) So it seemed appropriate to me that they showed us a different view than what our stereotypes give us. And a show like that can only do so much...guess we'll have to do some more research on our own to find out about European Islam. ;)

Erin said...

Just for the record I'm so very angry that you guys are discussing this --- but my husband doesn't listen to my input....geez!

That's why I won't be in attendance Sat.

Hope you all have a grrreat discussion!;)

Unknown said...

We will miss you most of all Erin ;)