Friday, July 18, 2008

Out to the Abby!!

I have been meaning to post on this but I have just been lazy. So my apologies, about two or three weeks ago now a group of us went out to the Mount Angel Abby to view and take part in a Eucharist service (communion). I found the experience interesting though , for me, not fulfilling in any way. The layout of the sanctuary really seemed to emphasize the separation or perceived separation that the Catholic faith feel is between God and man. The process seemed to be one of repeated phrases and the singing seemed almost to consist of droning chanting that was almost mesmerizing in away. Do not get me wrong everyone their seemed very sincere in their actions and we were not made to feel unwelcome in any way. But I did feel like I needed a guidebook almost to understand the process that people were going through. I would say that overall it was an interesting and relatively eye-opening experience. Thought, anyone, thoughts?

2 comments:

13Finches said...

As part of the group that went, I found that I too stumble my way through the ceremony of it. However, you failed to mention that we were able to chat with a Father after the service. I feel that, more than the service, the discussion explaining it was beneficial. I can now appreciate the routine of the service in a way I wouldn't have before. Each Catholic service, no matter where you are in the world, will have the same general formula to it. The point of the routine is so that the church will always be "home" no matter where you go. The routine is also intended to reduce the distractions that come, as they do in the Protestant services I've attended, with anticipating and deciphering the next new thing (eg. song, dance, flag waving, drama, music, etc.). This then allows the worshiper to focus more on communion with God than investing in external drama. I now understand more about how different types of services work for different types of people. Cassy and Christina have good insight on the "3" types of worship. I can't explain it in the eloquent way they have but, essentially, there are those that worship the Father through communing with Him during the routines of tradition (like the Catholic services); those that worship through the Spirit dramatically via full body and emotional involvement (ie. speaking in tongues, seizures, dancing, weeping, shouting, falling to the ground, etc.); and those that worship the Son via the mindfulness of needing to "bridge the gap", and by individual study, lessons, analyzing the Word, logic, and "process".

I hope this made sense. If anyone wants to go up to the Abbey with me either to attend a service or to walk around and photograph their beautiful landscape...let me know. I would be happy to accompany you.

Erin said...

Tom and I were discussing the many "issues" last night and found this video particularly good - let us know what your thoughts are!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EmLHOGT0v4c